Game Report: Swarm vs Stampede, June 28th and 29th 2013

Posted on July 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM

The Swarm took on the Stampede in Queenstown Friday night in a game that stayed closely fought throughout, and featured all kinds of excitement. The Stampede were the victors on the night, taking a 7-6 win in overtime, marking the third time these two teams have gone into OT this season.

The Swarm lead 1-0 after the first period, with the lone goal from Evan Mackintosh. 

Brandon Contratto got the Swarm out to a 2-0 early in the second lead off a shot that went high glove, but Mike McRae was able to get one back for the Stampede a few minutes later. A short-handed goal from Brian Horwitz tied the score at 2 all, and the scrum that followed resulted in penalties to both sides which sent players to the showers early. Supplementary discipline saw Mickey Rhodes assessed a two-game suspension, which served sitting out the Saturday games against the Stampede and the Thunder two weeks later.


Michael Attwell was able to score the go-ahead goal for the Swarm in the last five minutes of the period, leaving the score at 3-2 after 40 minutes.

The Stampede tied the game up again early in the period, but the Swarm pulled ahead off a goal from KC Ball a few minutes later, and then briefly held two goal with a goal from Scott Randell following just nine seconds later. The Stampede struck back quickly, with goals coming from Kirk Golden and then Jeremy Bruecker to tie the game up again at 5 all.

The Stampede pulled ahead with their first lead of the game off a goal from Tommy Zizian, and held that lead until Alex Polozov got one back for the Swarm with just 1.44 remaining. The Swarm took a penalty in the last minute of play which carried over into the overtime, and the Stampede were able to score the game winner – off Zizian’s stick – shortly after that had run down, giving them two points for the game and the Swarm just the one.


Saturday’s rematch between was another goal fest, with the Swarm eventually winning the game in regulation 10-6.


The Swarm got on the board early with two fast goals from Josh Hay and Jordan Challis, momentarily quieting the home side's crowd. The Stampede came back hard, with goals from Kirk Golden and then Matt Schneider. This tie held for almost 10 minutes, as penalty trouble for both sides and extracurriculars after the whistles slowed the game down. The Swarm were able to put a third goal on the board late in the period, with Sam Boniface scoring on the powerplay.


Three goals were added in the second period, as Schneider scored short-handed to tie the game up again, before the Swarm regained their lead on goals from Brandon Contratto and KC Ball.


The Stampede made a strong attempt at coming back in the third period, getting within one goal on a third goal from Schneider, but a strong rally from the Swarm let them initally double the Stampede’s score, as Evan Mackintosh picked up a natural hat trick, scoring three goals in 92 seconds. Boniface picked up a second goal on the powerplay to extend the lead to 9-4, although the Stampede did get another back less than a minute later as Braden Lee scored on a sharp angle shot. Mackintosh picked up a fourth goal in the final three minutes, as did Schneider, leaving the final score at 10-6 to the Swarm.

[Note: An early version of this report was first posted to by the Swarm social media team; this corrected edition will stand as a placeholder here until a longer-form report on these games is available.]

Categories: 2013, Game Reports

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

Already a member? Sign In